Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Oh the joys of late night shooting.


Canon 5D Mark II, 24 1.4L @ 5.6, ISO 1600, 5 second exposure
I was shooting a late night shoot in Cancun on Saturday that I was particularly proud of.  It wasn't the results that won me over, though they seemed to be okay, it was more the challenge that rose from the situation and the steps taken to conquer it.

Imagine this if you will.  12~14 come up for photos in the middle of the night, 1 a.m. to be exact, and they ask you to take photos of all of them on the beach.  They want the clouds exposed, and also of course they want to be exposed.  You meter exposure for the sky and it's 5 seconds at 5.6 on ISO 1600.  You have a full frame camera with a 24mm prime on it, and also a single strobe with a soft box modifier.  What do you do?

Well that's what I was caught in.  The solution?  Set the 5 second exposure, manually focus the camera, get low to the ground, get your assistant to put that 580ex II at full power, and tell the people "I totally can't see you, make sure you look at me and here's a three count!"  Here are the results from that shoot.



Brett brings Christina on a ride.

A crowd that had a BA level of .10%
Why was I on the beach in the first place?  Well the brides maid asked me to do some photos, and it was beautiful out.  Here are a couple of the photos we took.

Painting the Carribean Sky

Beautiful Katherine


Crash into me

No comments:

Post a Comment